Lava Lands National Park Day 2

Day~2 Monday July 10, 2017


Our first scheduled day went by fast. We met some amazing people and seen some amazing views. From when I woke in the morning realizing I am not at home in my cozy bed, I have been greeted by the sun, moved by the trees, and touched by the mountains. The people that care for the land are many, and all play a part. The team efforts on every level is very imperative to a healthy Deschutes National Forest. We met and heard the stories of some of the Forest Service workers.  I thought how they shared their career journeys was very touching to many. I think that it is important for our young people hear the paths of successful people. As well as the Heritage University students because most of us are returning to school and changing paths through education like many of the people we met. I enjoyed listening to the Fire Ecologist Jeff Bab. He is a BLM employee for the Prineville District interagency. He was from White Salmon and asked me if I knew my dad. It made me feel good. My father has been gone for 22 years and this man knew him and played basketball against him in high school. His job seemed very appealing to me. He is very passionate man, even with a disability is still working and making a difference. Mr. Goerge Lemagie was another man that I enjoyed listening to. His discussion about how far the obsidian trade with the Native peoples went into California and Canada. The Newberry Caldera obsidian flow supplied many Native people with obsidian rock to make tools.  He also spread the word of the inevitable. He brought up the major earth quake we are expecting in the 700  mile subduction zone along the west coast. The Tsunami that will also follow. He brought of the reality of a plan that is already in place. It is not about if, it is about when.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tshimikain Creek/Pit House Day 9

Spokane Tribal Hatchery, Wildlife, Canoe journey Day 10