On our way to Mission! DAY 4

Day~4 Wednesday July 12, 2017

Our last Morning in the Deschutes National Forest, bitter sweet. We are off to greet the people of the Umatilla, Cayuse, and Walla Walla. Before we left the area we stopped off at the Deseret High Museum. We didn't have much time to look around. I headed over to Native American exhibits of the museum. I was standing at the entrance looking at some exhibits and there was a lady looking at the tipi. We weren't facing each other. I heard a loud duck call noise or maybe it sounded like a buck snort. I turned to look behind me where the noise was coming from and the lady looked at me with the most surprised look on her face. She excused herself right away and said she thought I was her child. I couldn't help but laugh. I tried to tell her it was ok, but she was practically running down the hallway apologizing as she left. I continued looking at all the beautiful bead work and many outfits they had on display. I noticed a lot of the work and the pictures were of the Yakama people. I spent most of my time admiring all the beauty that was on display. They tried to make the exhibit "modern", but it looked like it needed to be updated. I didn't get to see much of anything else. I liked how the museum used the native plants around the facility and not a lawn. It looked nice, maybe people will learn to enjoy the natural beauty of the desert. I hear to often people refer the natural habitat as being  "undeveloped". In reality it is constantly changing and developing naturally. The appreciation of nature is a beautiful reality. I slept most of the way to Mission Oregon. As we entered Pendleton, I awoke. As we drove closer to the Red Elk residence, a flood of memories started to fill my mind. Many times I have came to visit our neighboring tribe. Basketball tournaments, Salmon and root feasts, funerals, pow wows, firefighting, and the time we flew out of Pendleton airport to help recover the space shuttle Columbia in Texas. Many friends and relatives in the area. We were welcomed and set up our tents. It was a late night and ended with talking around the fire. I was happy to have a fire...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tshimikain Creek/Pit House Day 9

Spokane Tribal Hatchery, Wildlife, Canoe journey Day 10